Several number of patients opt for wisdom teeth removal in Sydney that is meant to resolve dental problems. Despite being a common procedure, several people continue to make aftercare mistakes that might lead to problems even during recovery. To smoothen the healing process and ensure reduced pain, make sure to avoid the following 4 mistakes:
Mistake 1: Smoking
One of the worst things to do is smoking during the recovery period. Blood clots play a huge role in the recovery period, which helps control bleeding. Smoking could disrupt the blood clot and lead to dry socket, which is extremely painful. Dry socket could not be easily handled with pain medication as well. Smoking and usage of tobacco products in general, slows down the healing process, hence prevent using them by all means during recovery.
Mistake 2: Lack of Proper Rinsing of Mouth
For proper healing after wisdom teeth removal in Sydney and for better dental health, you should rinse your mouth as advised by your dental professional. Rinse using warm water mixed with a small amount of salt multiple times in a day. Doing this after eating or drinking will be effective. Proper rinsing will control pain and swelling, while also helping with the healing process.
Mistake 3: Exercising
One of the biggest mistakes is exercising or involving in physically strenuous activity during recovery period. You are supposed to give your body a good rest at this time. Involving in energy demanding activities might disturb your extraction site. Make sure the swelling and bleeding conditions have completely stopped before you resume your fitness regime.
Mistake 4: Wrong Diet and Nutrition
Proper healing not just requires rest and medications, but proper diet and nutrition as well. Some patients might eat solid foods that require chewing, before they have recovered fully. Others would completely stay away from eating and drinking at this time. Both these approaches should not be followed. Always ensure that you are hydrated, and consume foods that are soft, requires less chewing, and are healthy.
Make sure to avoid the following in your recovery diet:
- Hot and spicy foods – The spiciness could affect the blood clots and may cause infection.
- Soda – Carbonated frizzy drinks could dislodge the blood clot.
- Alcohol – Just like tobacco products, alcoholic drinks will delay your healing process.
- Crunchy Foods – After removing your wisdom teeth in Sydney, do not consume crunchy foods until the recovery period is complete. As mentioned earlier, stay away from hard-to-chew foods as this might lead to infection.
- Sugary foods – Plane ice cream is fine, but don’t go overboard on sugary foods. They could damage your teeth. Moderation is the key.
Keep these pointers in mind for ensuring a smooth recovery after wisdom teeth removal. Talk to a professional if you need to learn more about the applicable wisdom teeth removal cost in Sydney, recovery tips, or for any other assistance.