Unnecessary pain and the complications of infection and swelling can be minimized by following after-care instructions carefully. Here are a few,
- The gauze pad placed over the surgical area should be removed and discarded after half an hour.
- Vigorous mouth rinsing or touching the wound area following surgery should be avoided.
- Take the prescribed pain medications as soon as you begin to feel discomfort.
- Resume normal activity when you feel comfortable.
- Do not use a straw to drink for 3 days after surgery.